Nassau County Executive Thomas R. Suozzi is pleased to announce a spectacular variety of free summer concerts, shows and films for the entertainment of Eisenhower Park visitors. Forty-eight evening programs are scheduled to be held at the Harry Chapin Lakeside Theatre, overlooking the park’s picturesque Salisbury Lake.
This year’s highlights include:
* The Canon International Music Nights Concert Series, made possible through a generous grant from Canon USA, which returns with 19 evenings of ethnic music and dance.
* On Saturday, June 30, the nation’s independence will be celebrated with Commerce Bank’s spectacular fireworks display and concert, starring Michael Cavanaugh, recently of Billy Joel’s Broadway hit, “Movin’ Out.”
* Movies will be shown on the giant screen every Thursday evening throughout July and August, featuring a wide variety of family favorites and classics, from “Casablanca” to “The Wizard of Oz.”
An aerial view of Lakeside Theatre in Eisenhower Park, a center of entertainment during the summer.
The Senior Pops Orchestra (June 29), Dean Karahalis and the Concert Pops (July 7), and the Long Island Philharmonic (August 17) will once again present popular favorites and masterpieces. The next generation of musicians of this caliber, the Metropolitan Youth Orchestra, will perform on June 28.
* Oldies fans will be entertained by a Crystals and Four Seasons Tribute on July 6, and a Doo Wopp Show with the New Casinos and NY Exceptions on August 3.
* Children and parents can enjoy the Dittydoodle Day Children’s Show on the afternoon of July 28.
* A mid-summer favorite, "Salute to Veterans," will be presented on August 4, featuring Gary Puckett and the USO Entertainment Troupe. Lakeside Theatre will also host “Long Island Rocks for Freedom,” a rock concert saluting our currently deployed armed forces and being directly broadcast to the troops in Iraq, on August 24.
* In commemoration of the theater’s namesake, the third annual Harry Chapin Tribute will be presented on August 27.
* Another very popular favorite, the Reach for the Stars Teen Talent Search, will present the finals of a vocal talent competition on August 11.
2007 Eisenhower Park Lakeside Theatre Free Summer Entertainment Schedule
Punjabi American Night June 24
Noontime Concert: Power Play August 1
Italian American Night June 25
Movie Night: "Pink Panther" August 2
Metropolitan Youth Orchestra June 28
Doo Wopp Show with New Casinos & NY Exceptions August 3
Senior Pops June 29
Salute to Veterans with Gary Puckett (6:45 p.m.) August 4
Commerce Bank Show & Fireworks (Fourth of July celebration) June 30
Chinese American Night August 5
Turkish American Night July 1
Irish American Night August 6
Movie Night: "Over the Hedge" July 5
Noontime Concert: New Vintage Orchestra August 8
Crystals & Four Seasons Tribute July 6
Movie: "Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade" August 9
Dean Karahalis & the Concert Pops
Beginnings: A Tribute to Chicago August 10
Greek American Night July 8
Reach for the Stars Teen Talent Search Finals August 11
German American Night July 9
Pakistani American Night August 12
Noontime Concert: Al Miller Big Band July 11
Israeli American Night August 13
Movie Night: "Casablanca" July 12
Noontime Concert: Terry Nova Little Big Band August 15
Variety Night July 13
Movie Night: "Charlotte's Web" August 16
"100 Years of Broadway" July 14
Long Island Philharmonic August 17
Polish American Night July 15
Armenian American Night August 19
Bangladeshi American Night July 16
Ukrainian American Night August 20
Noontime Concert: Joe Kane July 18
Noontime Concert: The Precisions August 22
Movie: "Ant Bully" July 19
Movie Night: "Casino Royale" August 23
"Long Island Rocks for Freedom" August 24
"Damn Yankees" July 21
"Grease" August 25
African American Night July 22
Indian American Night August 26
Latino American Night July 23
Harry Chapin Tribute August 27
Noontime Concert: Swing Street July 25
Noontime Concert: Road House August 29
Movie: "The Birds" July 26
Scandinavian American Night August 29
"Soul Be It" July 27
Movie Night: "Wizard of Oz" August 30
Dittydoodle Day Children's Show (afternoon) July 28
All Lakeside Theatre programs will begin at 7:30 p.m., unless otherwise indicated. Movies will begin at dusk. There is no formal seating at Lakeside Theatre, so concertgoers should bring chairs and blankets.If weather appears threatening, call 516-572-0355 after 7 p.m. to confirm performance.
Eisenhower Park, operated by the Nassau County Department of Parks, Recreation and Museums, is located in East Meadow with entrances on Merrick Avenue and Hempstead Turnpike. The Lakeside Theatre is near parking fields 6 and 6A. For more information, call 516-572-0200 or the Special Events Line at 516-572-0223.